Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sach (trans: reality)

A few minutes later I heard a tentative sounding knock on my door. I thought about ignoring it but yelled “come in”. I heard the door opening and someone walking into the door but I couldn’t tell who it was. I looked up and saw Alex standing near the foot of my bed, looking intently at me. Somewhat self consciously I asked “what?”
He continued to look at me and then came over and sat on the bed. A moment later I felt his arms come around me and he just held me. Slowly I felt myself relaxing and the pressure of the tears just behind my eyes, succeeded. We lay there for what seemed like forever, not saying a word. I found my thoughts slowing down and the reality of what had truly happened today started sinking in.
Before I realized it my whole body was wracking with sobs. I felt Alex pulling me towards his body and turning me to face him. I buried my face into this chest and let it all out.  Other than running his hand soothingly on my back Alex didn’t try to talk and instead just let me cry. It seemed like he knew exactly what I needed at the moment and was trying to give it to me. Eventually I ran out of tears and my body stopped shaking. When I finally raised my head to look at Alex he smiled and leaned down to gently brush a kiss over each eye and my lips. In response I instinctively tightened my arms around him and reached up to kiss his cheek.
A moment later I heard another knock on my door and looked up to see Jack standing at the open door, staring at Alex and I in shock. I was confused for a moment until I realized how close we were on the bed.  The same thoughts must have run through Alex’s head because I felt his body tense and thought he was going to jump away. He must have changed his mind because instead I felt him lay back down and look at Jack square in the eye.
Jack opened his mouth to say something but then shut it and did that a couple more times before I couldn’t take it and said “Just say it”
Jack shifted his gaze to look at me and I held it before he finally looked away and said “So it finally happened”
From all the things that I’d expected Jack to say that hadn’t been one of them. And from the look on surprise on Alex’s face, it was obvious he felt the same. All I could get out was “huh?”
Jack smiled a small wan smile and said “I said so it finally happened. It took you guys 15 years but I can’t say I’m surprised”
Alex and I continued to stare at him as if he had grown two heads. Alex, finally getting over his shock said “You’re not mad!?”
I couldn’t tell if it was a question or a statement and looked at Jack for confirmation. He shook his head slightly and said “I’ve seen it coming for years. For some reason you both didn’t catch on till now but there was always…always something”
Alex’s arms around me tightened as he said “There was?” this time obviously making it a question
Jack came over to where we were still sprawled on the bed and sat down. He was quiet for a moment before he said “I hate to say this at this moment but the reason I came up was because your friends are here. They are waiting for downstairs”
I must have looked slightly confused because he continued “so you can go to the candle light service at the church…?”
I left like a cold bucked of water had been dumped on me as I jumped up from Alex’s arms and reality came crashing back in…

4 comments:

  1. So Jack is onboard. That's good. I hope we find out what happened with the parents and the boy they wanted her to meet. mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will find out what happens with them. Rory is going to...have a whirlwind of guys surrounding her suddenly. we'll see how she handles them while dealing with Kevin's death and her family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you have a life and I understand that but are you going to continue with the story?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is everything ok? You've been gone for quite a while....

    ReplyDelete